Media plays a key role in providing the community with information, facts and other pieces of news. As a media representative you can also play a key role in clarifying public opinion and revealing public knowledge about underage and youth binge drinking.
Too many consider underage and youth binge drinking a rite of passage to adulthood. Significant research has identified this adult belief and the belief that there is nothing adults can do to change youth drinking behaviors as contributing factors.
Alcohol harms and kills more youth than all illegal drugs, combined. For American youth, alcohol contributes to the top three causes of preventable death; murder, suicide and car crashes, and to preventable injuries from; burns, drowning, assaults, STDs and addiction.
- Use unique position to advance social and public policy goals to reduce underage and youth binge drinking.
- Become informed about the issues, solutions and “best practices.”
- Cover stories about what is being done to prevent problems, not just report consequences of alcohol related incidences.
- Develop PSA’s on dangers of underage and youth binge drinking to offset one-sided advertising messages that glamorize drinking.
- Limit alcohol ad product placements to TV, radio and magazines with majority adult only audiences.
- Be an advocate for community change and challenge community assumptions.